This recipe is so easy! I prepared the chicken before our guests arrived for game night and just popped it in the oven then I just added the marinara and cheese at the end. No one knew it was lighter on the hips!
I served it with Bucatini pasta. Bucatini resembles thick spaghetti but with a hollow center, known as the "buco" or hole.
Also, roasted veggies. Gotta get our veggies in, right? I just picked up one of those containers that had a whole bunch of different veggies already cut up. Cauliflower, broccoli, cabbage, onions, carrots, peppers and some squash. Drizzled with some extra virgin olive oil and salt/pepper, roasted for about 25 minutes and it was delicious. Also, easy. Gotta be easy!
- 6 chicken breasts, sliced in half to make 12
- 1/2 cup whole wheat breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- 2 tbsp melted butter or extra virgin olive oil
- 3/4 cup reduced fat Mozzarella cheese
- 1 jar marinara (whatever your favorite is. I try to look for reduced sugar)
- cooking spray
- Preheat the oven to 450℉ (or wait till later if you are following me) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine breadcrumbs and Parmesan cheese in a bowl.
- Melt the butter or place the olive oil in another bowl.
- Brush the chicken with the butter or olive oil and dip into breadcrumb mixture.
- Place on the baking sheet and do the remaining chicken.
- After the chicken has been sitting in the fridge for awhile, I like to spray both sides with cooking spray.
- Bake in the oven for about 25 minutes, flipping once.
- Remove from the oven and spoon marinara sauce over each one and top with Mozzarella cheese.
- Bake for about 5 to 8 minutes or until cheese is melted.