Thursday, January 5, 2017

Pan Seared Steaks



It's been a rough week. I've been under the weather and today I broke a tooth. Dang...what a way to start off the new year!

I love red meat. My father used to eat a Porterhouse Steak every night. My mother would cook for us kids, then when he got home at 10 pm, she would cook his steak under the broiler. We would all smell this wonderful aroma and head down to snag pieces of his steak. Wonderful memories!

I had a hankering for red meat today. As much as I love Porterhouse, I went with these smaller cuts for weight management.

I seasoned the steaks on one side with salt & pepper. Heated up my cast iron pan to smoking hot. Added about 2 tsp of olive oil swirled around the pan. Put the steak seasoned-side down, then salt & pepper the other side of the steak. I let it cook for 2 minutes without moving it, then using tongs, flipped it over. Then comes some scrumptious goodness; 2 whole garlic cloves, a few springs of parsley and a pat of butter. (I used light butter). Basting the steaks for another 2 minutes then removing them to a heated plate, covering them.

(side note: nothing I hate more than cold plates that make your food cold so I microwaved them for a few seconds. I'm crazy like that.)






I then added some unsalted chicken broth to the pan to deglaze. Yes, they have unsalted chicken and beef broth. I didn't have beef broth. Whoops. Look for it in the box where the broths are located.


Just let it cook for a few minutes.

It started like this.










And ended up looking like this. Gorgeous, right? Dark, beautiful pan sauce.


I also roasted some white asparagus and mushrooms in a 400 ° oven. I seasoned them with some salt and pepper. Simple.

Quick, easy and healthy. Everything in moderation, right? Right.

No comments: