I'm all about taking short cuts if I can and if they make sense. The original recipe called for cooking your own brown rice and making your own salsa. I cut my time in half, I'm sure, by using what I had on hand! This makes 4 lunches.
- 2 bags of Southwestern Style Rice by Birds Eye or Brown/Wild Rice with Broccoli and Carrots
- 1 lb lean ground turkey
- 1 tbsp taco seasoning (please don't use store brand, make your own CLICK HERE)
- 1 jalapeno (optional)
- 1 lime
- 1/2 cup reduced fat shredded cheese
- Store bought Pico de Gallo salsa. Or you can make your own. I didn't.
- Throw the bags of rice in the microwave, one at a time, then set aside.
- Cook turkey in a skillet with the taco seasoning and a jalapeno minced (optional), breaking up the meat as you cook.
Looking for some great storage containers? This is what I purchased CLICK HERE
- To assemble the lunches, put about a 1/2 cup of the rice in each container.
- About 1/2 cup of the turkey taco meat.
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup of the salsa.
- Then I took a 1/2 cup of the shredded cheese and divided it up evenly between the 4 containers.
- I then squeezed the juice from a whole lime over the 4 lunches using THIS.