My sister orders these when she goes to a Mexican restaurant. It's a traditional Mexican dish but it's basically salsa over tortilla chips just a bit more upscale.
Seems like a fun dish to make for friends while playing some card games!
- 1/2 lb boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 lb tomatillos, husks removed, washed and cut in half
- 3 jalapenos, halved
- 1 medium onion, cut into wedges
- 1/2 head of garlic, peels intact
- 4 cups corn tortilla chips
- salt and pepper to taste
- Mexican creme to serve
- Crumbled queso fresco to serve
- Chopped cilantro to serve
- Lime wedges to serve
- Boil the chicken in 2 1/2 cups of water. Once cooked, shred chicken and reserve the liquid.
- Place tomatillos, jalapenos, peppers, onion and garlic on a parchment lined baking sheet and broil for several minutes until charred and softened.
- Place the roasted veggies in a food processor, along with a few ladles of the chicken broth. Blend until a chunky sauce forms. Season with salt and pepper.
- Simmer in a pot with a little oil on medium heat.
- After 10 minutes, stir in the chicken.
- Remove from the heat and mix in the corn tortillas chips.
- Serve in bowls with the crema, queso, cilantro and lime.