I love Mexican food. Ooey, gooey cheese, beans, and spices. They rock my world.
I threw this together over the weekend in my slow cooker and promptly forgot about it until dinner time. I knew I was going to be busy all day so it was a perfect choice.
This was adapted from Well Plated Mexican Casserole
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 2 10-oz cans of enchilada sauce
- 1 15-oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 15-oz can diced tomatoes, not drained
- 1 cup corn, fresh or frozen
- 1 small red pepper, diced
- 1 small orange pepper, diced
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Cook the turkey and onion in a skillet until no longer pink. Transfer to the slow cooker.
- Add the rest of the ingredients, except for the cheese and stir to combine. Cook on low for 5 to 6 hours until the quinoa is tender.
- Remove the lid, stir and taste to adjust seasonings. Stir in 1/2 cup of the cheddar cheese and then sprinkle the remaining cheese on top. Cover and wait about 10 minutes until the cheese is melted.
I topped our with scallions but you could also do fresh salsa, cilantro, sour cream or greek yogurt.
You could also roll some of this up in a tortilla!