This is one of those meals you make when you really don't feel like cooking on a Sunday night. It's warm, comfort food. We spent the weekend at the casino's in Atlantic City and after a nap on Sunday afternoon, this really hit the spot!
It comes together quickly and doesn't require a lot of thought. I bought Perdue's chicken strips which are all natural, no preservatives and no fillers. They come in whole grain as well!
I used Bisquick to make the waffles.
So while I was waiting for the oven to heat up for the chicken, I threw together the waffle batter. Popped the chicken in for 18 minutes and then made this lovely herb gravy.
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup unsalted chicken broth
- 1/2 cup fat free milk
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp dried basil
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- a pinch of ground thyme
- a pinch of salt
- In a large skillet, cook the garlic in the hot butter for 30 seconds and then add 2 tbsp flour.
- Stir until well mixed.
- Add the broth and the milk. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly.
- Add the pepper, basil, red pepper flakes, thyme and salt and stir well.
Put on low heat while you make your waffles, top with chicken and gravy and go to town!!