Friday, May 5, 2017

Cincinnati Style Chili


My chili has always included beans and peppers but as I was doing some research, I came across a few Cincinnati Style Chili recipes and I decided to play around with it.

I decided to forgo the cinnamon, cloves and all spice. My husband is just not a fan of those types of spices.

I did include a tsp of unsweetened chocolate and I have to admit, it turned out pretty good!

So here is my version!

Ingredients:

  • 2 lbs ground beef
  • 4 cups water
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 1 15 oz can tomato sauce
  • 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
  • 1/4 cup chili powder
  • 1 tsp cumin
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
  • 1/2 square unsweetened chocolate or 1 tsp powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp cayenne

Directions:

  1. In a large pot, add the ground beef, water and onion. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 30 minutes.
  2. I let it cool, then stored in the refrigerator overnight to let any extra fat come to the top. Then just skim it off the next day.
  3. Put it back in the pot, bring to a boil, add everything else and then simmer for about 3 hours.
  4. It will reduce and thicken up quite nice.


You can eat it just as it is.
You can eat it over spaghetti as it was meant to be eaten.
or
You can put it into some burritos like I did!!

Burritos!


No comments: