Tuesday, June 6, 2017

Healthy Meal Prep!




MEAL PREP...

I know. I know.

You don't feel like spending a few hours prepping and/or cooking for the week.

But we all know what happens when meetings run over or traffic is snarling. You get home and do not feel like waiting 40 minutes for that roasted chicken and veggies. So you grab a peanut butter and jelly sandwich or pick up that phone to order a pizza.

I get it!!!

Meal prep is my way of eating mostly nutritious foods through the week without spending hours in the kitchen every day.

For instance, last week, my chicken and veggies were chopped and marinated, waiting for me in the fridge. All I had to do was turn on the oven and toss the food in on some baking sheets. I went to do some other stuff around the house and BOOM! dinner was ready.

OR you could have cooked the chicken and veggies on Sunday, stored them in individual containers in the fridge. They are just sitting there waiting for you to reheat! The correct serving amount without the hassle and thought. That's what I do with my lunches for the week.



As a matter of fact, I'm getting ready to throw some chicken sausage and a bunch of veggies in the oven right now so I can prep my lunches for the next few days.

These containers are awesome because they are airtight, microwave and dishwasher safe. Containers

I normally buy Romaine Lettuce, wash, chop it and then chop all my veggies. It all goes in a large re-sealable bag. I can easily grab a salad whenever I want! Or cheat and hit the salad bar (not the lettuce) and it just got easier!

Beyond prepping your meals, I find it extremely helpful to write out a "menu" on what I plan to cook for the week. You can start with just a few days if it feels overwhelming to you!

This week looked liked this, written on a piece of paper and posted on my fridge.

Monday - Bean Soup
Tuesday - Steak (coffee marinade), asparagus, slow cooker potatoes.
Wednesday - Slow cooker lemon chicken and brown rice and broccoli.
Thursday - run out to get fresh fish and a veggie or leftovers if there are enough.

So how does this help me? Well, I know I need to marinate the steaks at some point today and I need to get the potatoes in the slow cooker. As well, the chicken for tomorrow needs to be defrosted so I'll take that out of the freezer today and put in the fridge.

The recipes go on my kitchen shelf so I can grab when I need.

Little things like this help me stay organized and on track. With just a little prep here and there, I can concentrate on other things in my life!

Hope this helps!


No comments:

Share on Social Media!

Don't forget to click on the Social Media links above and share this recipe!

SHOP AMAZON HERE AND SUPPORT MY SITE!