This marinade takes no time at all to come together and coats the chicken quite nicely! Do it ahead of time because it needs to cool before you add it to the chicken.
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 2 tsp ground pepper
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp. sweet chili sauce (international aisle)
- 2/3 cup reduced sodium soy sauce
- 2/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 2/3 cup honey
- 1 tbsp. cornstarch
- 1 tbsp. water
- 4 chicken breasts sliced to make 8
- Whisk together ginger, pepper, and onion powder. Add the garlic. Then add chili sauce, soy sauce, vinegar, brown sugar and honey.
- Bring it to a boil.
- Whisk the cornstarch and water together and add to the mixture, whisking it in slowly.
- Bring back to a boil and then allow to simmer. It will reduce and thicken in about 2 minutes.
- Set aside to cool.
- Place the chicken in a Ziploc bag and add 1/2 the marinade. You can marinate this for 1 hour or even overnight.
- Remaining marinade can be store in the fridge.
- Heat a grill or grill pan (this is similar to what I use) and cook for about 6 minutes, baste with leftover marinade, and then about another 6 minutes.
- Let rest covered with foil for about 3 minutes to let the juices redistribute or you will have dry chicken!
The asparagus I threw into a skillet with a drop of olive oil, salt and pepper. I just kept moving them around over medium heat until they were crisp tender as I was cooking the chicken.
I sorta cheat on the rice! I use Uncle Ben's jasmine rice in a bag. Only 90 seconds in the microwave for perfect rice. It's very tasty and the family loves it. I love the convenience!