I love love love Chicken Soup and this is perfect to throw in your slow cooker and walk away.
And, trust me, you must use the Shiitake Mushrooms. You can add some baby bella mushrooms as well since the Shiitake are a little on the expensive side.
I will normally make a double batch and then freeze in these containers Freezer Safe Containers. It's the perfect size for lunch, grab and go!
This recipe is adapted from Skinnytaste.com
- 1 tbsp. butter
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 tbsp. flour
- 6 cups no salt chicken broth
- 3 cups of water
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 14 oz boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- Long grain and wild rice combo (I use Uncle Ben's)
- 1/2 to 1 cup brown rice
- 6 oz shiitake mushrooms, sliced and stems removed
- 3 tbsp. light sour cream (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Melt butter, add onion and saute until soft.
- Add flour and saute another minute.
- Add to the crockpot, then add chicken broth, water, carrots, garlic, celery, both brown rice and wild rice mix, chicken thighs and mushrooms.
- Cook on low for 8 hours.
- Remove chicken from slow cooker, shred and return.
- Add sour cream and if soup is too thick, add a bit more water and then season with salt and pepper.