I have to admit that sometimes I look ahead at the weather while I'm meal planning.
That's a little crazy, right?
Well, I'm glad I did this week. It called for rain and rain it did. So this was perfect rainy day comfort food.
Even hubby liked it! Always a bonus...
- 3 large carrots (I actually picked up a bag of little carrots and just chopped up the appropriate amount)
- 5 stalks celery, diced
- 1 - 16 oz bag split peas
- 2 - 8 oz ham steaks, diced
- 4 cups no salt chicken stock
- 1 cup water (plus more if you need it at the end)
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 8 strips of bacon, cooked well done and diced
- Combine carrots, celery, split peas, broth, water, ham and garlic powder.
- Cook on low for 8 hours.
- Add in bacon, salt and pepper to taste and mix well.