These were so spot on and delicious! Just enough heat and cheese. I served them over rice but you could easily stuff them into a tortilla or a wrap or just over some tortilla chips!
Using an ice cream scoop helps ensure you get all the same size meatballs to cook evenly! You will get about 40 meatballs. I used enough for dinner and then rest went into the freezer for another dinner.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 lb ground pork
- 2 - 10 oz can enchilada sauce (1 for the meatball mixture and one to bake with)
- 1 jalapeno, diced
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 5 scallions, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups panko breadcrumbs
- salt and pepper
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large bowl, add the beef, pork, 1 can of sauce, the jalapeno, garlic, oregano, scallions and breadcrumbs. Season with salt and pepper.
- Mix well and using a Ice Cream Scoop place the meatballs onto the baking sheet. I normally scoop and then roll gently.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Pour the other can of enchilada sauce in a baking dish. Sprinkle with 1/2 the cheese. Place the meatballs over top and then top them with the rest of the cheese.
- Bake for about 20 minutes or so until the cheese melts.
I sprinkled with more chopped scallions.