Sooooo...the other night my husband wanted cheesesteaks. I didn't want all the bread.
We compromised and I made these cheesesteak stuffed portabello mushrooms.
Quick, easy and we totally loved them! Try to find mushrooms with no cracks that look like they can hold the mixture pretty well. You could slice sirloin steaks but I had minute steaks in the freezer.
You could easily add some diced green peppers to these. Whatever floats your boat or like me, whatever is in the fridge :-)
The pic above is BEFORE I baked with the cheese. Sorry Charlie, forgot to take an AFTER pic!
- 2 portabello mushrooms, stem and gills gently removed
- salt and pepper
- About 8 minute steaks
- 1/2 diced onion
- 2 tbsp. light mayo
- 2 slices provolone cheese
- Preheat oven to 350. Spray a baking sheet.
- Remove the stem and gills gently with a spoon. Salt and pepper them well. Lay on the baking sheet.
- In a skillet over medium heat, throw in the minute steaks, breaking them up as you go. Add the diced onion. Cook until the steaks are no longer pink. Salt and pepper well.
- Remove from heat and stir in the mayo.
- Using a slotted spoon, divide mixture and spoon onto the mushrooms.
- Lay a slice of provolone over the top and baked for about 15 to 18 minutes.