Who doesn't love sloppy joe's? My husband doesn't like the messiness and I don't like the bread factor. So I served mine over grilled eggplant and he ate his with a fork and knife. Hey, whatever works right?
Let's talk about Alterna Sweets for a minute. I love their products! I'm always looking for ways to cut carbs and refined sugar out of my diet to improve my health. Some make sense, some don't. Some taste good, some don't. I've never been big on BBQ sauce but this stuff is awesome!
You can check out their products here. Alterna Sweets Website
- 1 lb Jennie-O Extra Lean Ground Turkey
- 4 sprays Pam Olive Oil
- 1/2 small red onion, diced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 8 oz no salt tomato sauce
- 4 tbsp Alterna Sweets BBQ Sauce
- 1/4 cup Kraft fat free cheddar cheese
- Spray skillet and add turkey, breaking it down into smaller pieces as it cooks.
- Add the onion, pepper and garlic. Stir to incorporate.
- Add the tomato sauce and BBQ sauce, stir. Lower the heat and let simmer. If needed, add a little water till it reaches the consistency you like.
- Sprinkle with cheese and scallions (optional) and serve however you like it!
This recipe makes 4 servings at 3/4 of a cup for 1 pt on Weight Watchers Freestyle Program.