I really love Mexican food. Not only is it very tasty, it's normally very low in points on Weight Watchers.
My husband loves stuffed peppers so I decided to create a combination of what we both like.
These Chicken Enchilada inspired stuffed peppers are the bomb! You could top them with some light sour cream and cilantro as well.
- 4 bell peppers, whichever ones you prefer
- 1 lb Perdue Extra Lean Ground Chicken or Extra Lean Ground Turkey
- 1/2 tbsp. Old El Pasa Taco Seasoning, Hot & Spicy
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 small jalapeno, seeded and diced
- 1 can (4.5 oz) green chilies
- 1/4 cup Hatch Enchilada Sauce
- 1 cup Kraft Fat Free Cheddar Cheese
- Light Sour Cream and Cilantro (optional)
- In a large skillet, cook ground chicken over medium heat, breaking it up as you cook it.
- Stir in the taco seasoning, stir well.
- Add the onions and cook for a few minutes more.
- Stir in the green chilies and enchilada sauce. Turn off heat and set aside.
- Cut the top off each pepper and clean out the insides.
- Place peppers in the slow cooker and fill each pepper 1/2 way with the enchilada mix.
- Take 1/2 the cheese and add to the peppers then fill with the rest of the enchilada mix.
- Finish them with the rest of the cheese, place tops back on.
- Cook on low for about 5 hours or until the peppers are tender.
Note: My yellow peppers are bigger than the green peppers. I should have made sure they were all consistently the same size for cooking time. My green peppers will be ready before my yellow peppers so I may have to take them out. Don't be like Christine. :-) Buy approximately same size peppers.
This recipe makes 4 servings at 1 pt per Stuffed Pepper on Weight Watchers Freestyle Program. Or you can have 2 peppers for 2 pts.
Topping each pepper with 1 tsp of sour cream (4 tsps. equals 1 pt) doesn't even change the point values! They would still come out to 1 pt per pepper.