I love French Onion Soup or anything French Onion! I decided to try out a meatloaf version and it was so delicious!
I threw it together yesterday and then popped it in the slow cooker today. You can also do this in the oven.
- 1 lb extra lean ground beef or turkey
- 2 cups mushrooms, finely chopped
- 2 oz onion soup mix
- 2 large egg whites
- 2 tbsp. breadcrumbs
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp. light butter
- 2 large onions, sliced thin
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 3 slices reduced fat swiss cheese
- In a large bowl, mix the beef, mushrooms, seasoning mix, egg, breadcrumbs, garlic powder, Worcestershire sauce and black pepper.
- If cooking in the oven, form into a meatloaf on a baking sheet and cook for 35 minutes on 375.
- If cooking in a slow cooker, make a criss-cross of aluminum foil (for easy lift out), form the meatloaf and place on top. Cook on low for 3 hours.
- Melt the butter in a large skillet and over medium heat, cook the onions, stirring frequently for about 15 to 20 minutes. Add the garlic and keep stirring for another minute.
- Spoon the onions over the meatloaf at the end of the cooking time, top with cheese. I put the lid back on the slow cooker and the cheese melted oh so very nicely!
This recipe makes 6 servings at 5 points each on Weight Watchers Freestyle Program.