It's chilly and rainy here today so this was the perfect lunch. It's also packed with protein and delicious! I added some diced ham at the end...swoon! All done in the slow cooker so you basically throw everything in and walk away.
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and cut into large chunks
- 2 celery ribs, cut into large chunks
- 1 medium onion, cut into large chunks
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups dry lentils, rinsed and picked over
- 2 cans black beans, rinsed
- 3 bay leaves
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp cumin
- 2 tbsp. chili powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 8 cups unsalted chicken broth
- 5 slices diced Canadian Ham (I used Jones 99% fat free)
- Place all ingredients in the slow cooker except for the ham. Cook on low for 6 hours, then stir in the ham and heat for 30 minutes more. Remove bay leaves before serving.
Make it vegetarian by leaving the ham out. You can also thicken it a bit by taking some of it out, blending it and then adding back in.
This recipe makes 8 servings at 1 and 1/2 cups per serving for 0 points on WW Freestyle program.