There are a few reasons why people like a no-mayo pasta salad.
1 - the heat
2 - their diet
3 - some just don't care for mayo
I came up with this because I had no mayo in the house!! It worked beautifully! And since we will be outside this weekend, #1 comes into play. And since I like to eat healthy, #2 comes into play. Winner, winner, shrimp for dinner!
- 2 lbs defrosted shrimp, peeled
- 1 lb medium pasta shells, cooked, drained, rinsed
- 10 mini sweet peppers or 1 - 2 bell peppers, diced
- 1 container cherry tomatoes
- 7 small celery stalks, diced
- 1/4 cup parmesan or locatelli cheese
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 4 scallions, diced
- 2 limes
- 1 lemon
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, divided
- Cook the pasta, drain and rinse with cold water. Add a touch of extra virgin olive oil. Mix and set aside in a large bowl.
- I use frozen shrimp so I placed them in a large bowl and covered with cold water to defrost.
- Slice or chop about 10 mini sweet peppers or 1 to 2 bell peppers and saute with cherry tomatoes and a little extra virgin olive oil, salt and black pepper until softened.
- Meantime, dice 7 celery stalks and add to pasta.
- Dice 4 scallions and add to pasta.
- Add 1/4 cup parmesan or locatelli cheese to the pasta.
- The shrimp should be defrosted by now so peel them, pay them dry and season with salt, pepper, chili powder and paprika.
- Saute in a large skillet with a little extra virgin olive oil about 3 minutes on each side.
- Squeeze 1 lime and 1 lemon over the pasta mixture, add the shrimp and mix well.
- Taste to adjust seasoning. I like to add a bit of salt and 1 more squeezed lime right before serving.
This recipe makes 12 servings of 1 cup at 3 points on WW Freestyle Program.