This bread is fantastic!! Baked in a dutch oven, no need to knead (see how I did that?), studded with raisins. You will absolutely love how easy it is to make!
Think how awesome it would be to tell people during the holidays "oh yes, I made that bread myself!"
You will need a dutch oven...
Bread Flour is needed as well...you can find it in the baking aisle.
- 3 cups bread flour plus 2 tbsp at the end
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 & 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp active dry yeast (in the baking aisle, they come in little packets)
- 1 cup raisins (I like to use a combo of regular and golden)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 & 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 3/4 cup water
- In a large mixing bowl, measure the flour, sugar, salt & yeast and stir well to combine.
- Heat the milk and water until warm (not hot) and stir into the flour mixture using a rubber spatula until it forms into a dough.
- In a separate bowl, combine raisins, vanilla and cinnamon. Mix well and add it to the flour mixture.
- Fold it into the dough until all the flour is absorbed. No need to overwork it.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let it sit on the counter for 18 to 24 hours.
- Place a round dutch oven on the bottom rack of the oven and preheat the oven to 425. Once it comes up to temp, set a timer for 20 minutes.
- When the timer goes off, remove the plastic wrap and sprinkle the dough with 2 tbsp flour. Use a rubber spatula and work around the edges and bottom of the dough to loosen it.
- Throw some flour on your hands, shape the dough into a ball.
- Using pot holders, take the pot from the oven and remove the lid. Place the loaf of bread into the pot and replace the lid.
- Bake for 30 minutes then remove the lid and bake uncovered for 12 minutes.
- Carefully remove the bread with tongs or slide out of the pot on to a wire rack to cool.
Isn't it beautiful?