WARNING: These are not Weight Watchers approved! LOL
They are however, approved by me!
Great cookie for the holidays or a wedding and so tasty. Little bites of cake topped with colorful sprinkles.
- 1 cup butter
- 2 cups white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 16 oz ricotta cheese
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 tsp butter
- 1/2 tsp shortening
- 4 cups confectioners (powdered) sugar
- 1 tbsp lemon extract
- 1/2 cup colored candy sprinkles
- Preheat oven to 350. Grease cookie sheets with butter. (this will brown the cookies on the bottom).
- In a large bowl, cream together the 1 cup of butter and sugar. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, then stir in the ricotta cheese and vanilla.
- Combine the flour, baking powder and baking soda in a separate bowl and then stir into the ricotta mixture.
- Drop by rounded spoonfuls onto the prepared cookie sheets (we like to use a cookie scoop for more even size. We use the medium one, see Cookie Scoop).
- Bake for 10 minutes and then allow cookies to cook for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make the frosting, warm the milk, 1/2 tsp of butter and shortening in a small saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally until solids are melted.
- Remove from heat and gradually stir in the confectioners sugar and lemon extract.
- Dip each cookie into the icing (remove excess with your finger) and then dip into sprinkles.
- Set on wire rack for the icing to harden.
You can freeze these with or without the icing. We like to place them on cookie sheets, put into the freezer until they are frozen and then store them in air tight containers. If you choose to freeze without icing, wait for them to defrost and then ice them. They can stay frozen up to 3 or 4 months.
Great way to get some baking done for the holidays in advance!
Don't forget to taste test one!