I know how hard it is these days of the Coronavirus stay at home orders. I've been lucky in that I was already working from home so my routine didn't change much. I can't go to the gym or out to dinner/dancing so I've been sticking to workouts at home. And, of course, keeping up with the healthiest cooking I can prepare. Groceries have been delivered or I've picked up with no contact. At times, it's been difficult to get in the food I'm used to.
I was able to score some ground chicken last week so I came up with this recipe based on what I had in the fridge and pantry. Ground chicken needs help but adding other tasty items with spices, you really cannot tell the difference. And it's much leaner!
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 large bell pepper, diced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 lb lean ground chicken
- 1 - 8 oz can tomato sauce
- 1/2 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 can corn
- 2 egg whites
- 1/2 cup quick cooking oats
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- 2 tbsp. ketchup
- 1/4 cup shredded reduced fat Mexican blend cheese
If you like a little kick, feel free to add a bit of cayenne pepper to the mix!!
- Preheat oven to 400. Spray a loaf pan with cooking spray.
- Spray a large skillet with cooking spray and add the bell pepper, onion and garlic. Cook until soft, about 5 minutes
- Meantime, in a large bowl, add all the other ingredients except for the cheese. Let the bell pepper mixture cook for a few minutes and then add to the bowl and mix thoroughly.
- Transfer to the loaf pan and top with ketchup.
- Bake for 45 minutes then sprinkle with the cheese. Pop back in the oven for 5 minutes to let the cheese melt.
This recipe makes 5 servings at 268 calories each. I served mine with some brown rice on the side.
This is also a freezer friendly recipe.
Please stay safe everyone and I hope this recipe makes it's way onto your table!