Delicious food does not have to be complicated! I always have Uncle Ben's whole grain rice in my pantry or Birds Eye steam-able brown rice in the freezer. I like to grab those big bags of frozen shrimp when they are on sale. And, of course, my pantry has beans, diced tomatoes and chicken broth.
The rice shown here is Uncle Ben's but use what you have. Popping a bag in the microwave for 90 seconds...does it get easier than that?
- 1 lb frozen shrimp, defrosted and peeled
- 1 tbsp flour
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp salt and black pepper
- 1/4 tsp sugar
- 1 tbsp butter, I like to use unsalted
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 bell pepper, diced into large chunks (I used 1/2 red and 1/2 yellow)
- 1 10 oz can of diced tomatoes
- 1/3 cup of chicken broth (I used unsalted)
- 2 tbsp of white wine
- 2 tbsp of lemon juice and a few slices to serve with
- a small handful of chopped parsley
- Pat shrimp dry and toss with flour, paprika, salt and pepper, and sugar.
- I used a cast iron skillet heated to medium, melt the butter with the olive oil and add onions and garlic. Cook for about 3 minutes, but be careful not to burn the garlic. Then add the peppers and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add the shrimp, let cook for a few minutes, then add the diced tomatoes, broth, wine and lemon juice. Stir and cook until shrimp turn pink then stir in the parsley.
This recipe makes 4 servings at about 358 calories each.