Sloppy Joes = Comfort Food but they also = Calories.
I decided to try my hand at revamping a standard recipe plus make it more in tune for summer.
- 1 lb extra lean ground chicken
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 tbsp. honey
- 2 tbsp. lite soy sauce
- 2 tbsp. white vinegar
- 1 tbsp. garlic
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1/4 cup of water
- 1 tbsp. corn starch
- Place ground chicken in a large skillet over medium heat alone with a splash of olive oil.
- Add the diced onion and the bell pepper to the pan.
- Crumble the chicken as it cooks.
- Once the chicken is fully cooked add the honey, soy sauce, white vinegar, garlic, salt and pepper to the pan.
- Mix water and cornstarch together to form a slurry and add to the pan.
- Stir well and cook for about 3 to 5 minutes to thicken sauce.
I served these open faced over Arnold's Thin Rolls which are 100 calories. This recipe makes 4 servings at 197 calories each.