The heat is on! I just cannot use my oven when it's this hot. I grill, or use the air fryer/convection oven.
I've made a roast beef in the crockpot before and it came out pretty good. This time I tried it in the instant pot. Success!!
- 2.5 to 3 lb eye roast
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 cup of unsalted chicken or beef stock.
- 1 to 2 tbsp of lite soy sauce
- 2 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 tsp dried rosemary
- 1.5 tbsp flour
- 3 tbsp water
- Press saute and wait till it says hot.
- Add 1 tbsp olive oil and swirl.
- Pat the beef dry with a paper towel. Season one side of the beef with salt and pepper. Place it seasoned side down in the pot and brown for about 5 minutes. Season the other side and flip it, browning for another 4 minutes.
- Turn it on the sides and brown, for 3 minutes on each side. Set aside.
- Add in the other 1 tbsp of olive oil with the sliced onions. Saute for about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add in 2 bay leaves, 1/4 tsp dried rosemary and the garlic. Saute for 30 seconds.
- Pour 1 cup of the stock in and deglaze by using a wooden spoon to get all those wonderful bits of flavor off the bottom of the pot.
- Add in 1 tbsp soy sauce, mix.
- Place your steamer rack into the pot and then lay the browned beef on the steamer rack. Make sure the knob is on the sealing position.
- Press the off button and then the manual button and set for 3 minutes. Once those 3 minutes are up, let it sit (natural release) for 25 minutes.
- Once that was done, I used a meat thermometer to test the temp. 120 is perfect for medium rare. If you want it more done, use the keep warm mode to continue to cook.
- Remove the beef and set aside, loosely wrapped with foil. It needs to rest for 10 minutes.
- Press the saute button. Mix 1.5 tbsp with 3 tbsp of water. Mix into the gravy and stir. Taste for more soy sauce, salt and pepper. Let it cook until desired thickness.
Slice it thin or thick, whatever your preference is!