This is a great side dish or a vegetarian main meal option. I normally have a cabinet of beans just waiting for inspiration (or laziness). You could serve this with some crusty bread to mop up the broth!
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 tsp dried rosemary, crumbled
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 bag or container of fresh spinach
- 2 (15 oz) can cannellini beans, rinsed
- 2 cups unsalted chicken broth
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella (optional)
- 3 tbsp Parmesan cheese
- In a 12 inch skillet, heat olive oil and add the onion and rosemary, cook for about 5 minutes, stirring. Add the garlic and red pepper (if using) and cook for another minute.
- Start adding the spinach, cooking and stirring as the leaves wilt.
- Add the white beans, broth and black pepper, stir to combine. Bring to a boil, then turn heat to low and simmer. I like to mash up some of the beans at this point to help thicken. Cook for about 10 minutes.
- Off the heat, stir in the lemon juice, then the mozzarella, if using, and parmesan cheese. Taste to adjust the seasonings.
This recipe makes about 4 servings.