The title may seem dull but the flavors are not!
Easy and delicious grilled salmon over a simple brown rice but with an explosion of seasoning. Make it easy for yourself and grab a bag of frozen Birds Eye brown rice.
We have basil growing in the garden and there is just something fresh and summery about tomatoes, basil and parmesan cheese in olive oil that makes me want to run to Italy!
- 2 salmon fillets
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp sweet paprika
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 bag frozen Birds Eye brown rice
- 1 tsp olive oil
- a handful of sliced cherry tomatoes
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- salt and black pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup pine nuts, toasted (I used Pepitos which is what I had in the house)
- 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese
- 3/4 cup of sliced fresh basil
- First mix up the salt, black pepper, paprika, chili powder, garlic powder and ground cumin. Rub the mixture all over the salmon and set back in the fridge until you are ready to cook it.
- In the meantime, slice the tomatoes, minced the garlic, slice the basil and toast your nuts. Toasting the nuts, brings out the natural oil. You just need to throw them in a dry pan over medium heat for about 2 minutes. Shake the skillet to keep them from burning and then set aside.
- In the same skillet, place the olive oil, and sliced tomatoes and let them cook a bit to start to break down, about 4 minutes.
- Throw the frozen brown rice in the microwave.
- Toss the garlic in the pan with the tomatoes for a minute (don't let it turn brown!) then add the rice and turn to low.
- Heat up a cast iron skillet over medium heat and add the 1 tbsp of oil. Lay the salmon fillets into the pan and set your timer for 5 minutes for each side or until done to your likeness.
- While the salmon is cooking, add the nuts, parmesan cheese, basil to the rice mixture and taste for salt and pepper.
This recipe makes two servings and I really hope you try it out!